The average small or midsize business has experienced three technology failures in the past 12 months, with the leading causes being virus or hacker attacks, power outages, and natural disasters.
Obviously, no one wants a disaster to occur, but the reality is that they happen. That’s why now is the time to ask some hard questions about how well you’re protecting your data and systems. For example, even if you consider yourself proactive about backing up your data, how protected are you in reality? Say your company’s systems are lost in a flood. How quickly can you recover access to your data and continue business operations? What are your customers’ expectations? Can they wait for days or weeks for your business to recover? More importantly, will they?
Nittany Link's partnership with Symantec provides us the tools and skills to offer dependable backup solutions to meet your organizations needs.
While no single set of rules will protect every business, smart businesses follow best practices like these:
- Schedule backups.
Implement and enforce backup schedules—and automate the process as much as possible. Manual processes are time consuming and prone to error.
- Back up systems, too.
Backups are only as good as your ability to use the information you recover, so back up systems and applications as well as files.
- Keep backups offsite.
Fires, floods, vandalism, and sabotage are reality. Be sure files and systems can survive the loss of your primary facility, or even a regional disaster.
- Test backups.
Don’t wait until disaster strikes to discover a resource, process, or technical shortcoming. Regularly test the entire backup and recovery cycle. Can you recover to dissimilar hardware?
Backup Exec System Restore
Symantec Backup Exec™ System Recovery 2010 is a simple, cost-effective backup and recovery solution for small businesses that helps minimize downtime and avoid disaster by easily recovering data or complete Windows systems in minutes – not hours or days – even to different hardware or virtual environments.
Backup Exec System Recovery helps you protect your organization proactively by capturing automated backups – without disrupting user productivity. Backups can be scheduled of the entire system, including the operating system, applications, system settings, files, configurations and settings; or you can schedule backups for individual files and folders. Backups are conveniently saved to various disk storage devices including SAN, NAS, Direct Attached Storage, CD/DVD, etc. To enhance your ability to recover from a disaster, Backup Exec System Recovery also includes the ability to copy backups to an off-site location or secondary disk device.
In the event of system failure or data loss, Backup Exec System Recovery enables a quick restore without the need for manual, lengthy and error prone processes. You can recover an entire Windows server, desktop or laptop in minutes to the same hardware, different hardware or a virtual environment – including VMware vSphere 4.0, Microsoft Hyper-V 2008 R2 and Citrix XenServer 5.x; or recover individual Exchange messages, SharePoint documents or files and folders in seconds. These flexible recovery capabilities allow you to quickly recover what you need, when and where you need it.
Backup Exec System Recovery is the perfect standalone solution for small business customers with 1 – 4 Windows servers and can scale to larger Windows environments as well, working in conjunction with Symantec Backup Exec™.
- New! Backup Exec System Recovery Virtual Edition: Purchase a single license of the Backup Exec System Recovery Virtual Edition and protect an unlimited number of virtual guest machines per host.
- Support for the latest Microsoft operating systems: Supports Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 as well as Windows Small
- Business Server 2008, Essential Business Server 2008, and SQL Server 2008.
- New! Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 Linux Edition (available December 2009) enables you to restore complete Linux systems, volumes or individual files/folders in minutes to dramatically minimize downtime and disruption to your business. It provides image-level backup of Linux system volumes through a command-line interface, including backup of system volumes, configurable compression, and encryption.
- Enhanced virtual environment support: Supports the latest virtual environments including VMware vSphere 4.0, Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2, and Citrix XenServer 5.x.
- Support for Exchange 2010: Support for backup and recovery of server systems hosting Microsoft Exchange 2010. Provides complete protection of Exchange 2010 hosts through integration with VSS.
- Backup Exec System Recovery Management Solution: A highly scalable centralized management solution designed to add rapid Windows backup and recovery to the new Symantec Management Platform. Centrally manage system backup and
Symantec Backup Exec™ 2010 delivers reliable backup and recovery designed for your growing business. Easily protect more data while you reduce storage and management costs and improve your overall backup performance through integrated deduplication (using NetBackup PureDisk technology) and archiving technology (powered by Symantec Enterprise Vault).
Backup Exec 2010 provides integrated protection for the latest Windows environments including, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Hyper-V R2 and Exchange 2010 to ensure your new and existing Microsoft environments are protected from day one. Easily reduce business downtime with unmatched technology designed to recover critical Microsoft applications like Exchange, SQL, SharePoint and Active Directory environments along with VMware or Microsoft Hyper-V virtual environments in seconds. From a single-pass backup, restore an entire application or recover a granular email or individual file/folder quickly, plus eliminate your backup window and experience reliable point-in-time recovery with continuous data protection technology.
Backup Exec also delivers centralized management to easily extend your backup infrastructure across a distributed environment and remote offices so your server and desktop data protection is easily managed from a central office as your business grows. Also efficiently manage both Windows and non-Windows systems through a single console including UNIX, Linux, MAC, and NetWare, including remote media server support for Linux servers . Overall, Backup Exec 2010 is designed to readily optimize any Windows data protection strategy – helping you protect more data while utilizing less storage - overall saving you time and money.
- NEW Backup Exec 2010 Deduplication Option provides an integrated and customizable deduplication offering to optimize any backup strategy with client deduplication (deduplication at the source or remote media server), media server deduplication (deduplicates data at media server), appliance deduplication (integrates with OpenStorage deduplication appliances), for added storage and cost savings.
- NEW Backup Exec 2010 Archive Options provide unified backup and archiving for File and Exchange® mailbox environments by uniquely archiving data from the backup copy rather than separately pulling data from the source. The two new archive options provide administrators with the ability to reduce redundant data residing on Exchange or File servers to free up storage space. Overall, administrators will be able to easily index data and set retention periods to efficiently manage data lifecycles.
- NEW virtual server application support with first-to-market backup and recovery for Exchange, SQL and Active Directory® running in virtual environments and enhanced VMware vSphere™ 4.0 and Microsoft Hyper-V 2008 R2 support.
- NEW integrated Exchange 2010 support including the new database availability group (DAG) in Exchange 2010 and enhanced granular recovery support provides fast recovery of individual email and mailboxes while eliminating the need to perform an additional mailbox-level backup.
- Microsoft certified backup and recovery for the latest Windows environments, including Windows 2008 R2, Exchange 2010, and Windows 7.
- Enhanced Agent for Enterprise Vault automates backup and recovery of Enterprise Vault 7.x, 8.x, and 8 SP2 (and higher) with the ability to easily recover an Enterprise Vault site or individual indexes.
- NEW Lotus Domino® 8.5 support with simplified backup and recovery of the DAOS (Domino Attachment and Object Service) store and associated NLO files.
- Enhanced virtual tape library (VTL) support and new VTL Unlimited Drive Option licensing easily protects VTL storage environments as a unique device and shows valid VTL functions with new licensing per VTL environment.